30th JSKA South Africa National Championships
30 and 31 May 2014
Hall F, Tshwane Events Centre
(Pretoria Show Grounds), Souter Street, Pretoria West
Follow this link to download the detailed programme indicating all divisions.
Friday, 30 May 2014
10:00 – 15:00: JSKA South Africa ID book to be handed in and name tags collected for each competitor by Dojo Heads and/or Team Managers.
16:00: Tournament briefing for Judges and Tournament Officials presented by Chief Judge at Tournament Venue.
18:00: All Team Kata Events and All Senior Events commence on 4 Tatami’s.
Saturday, 31 May 2014
06:30: All Officials meet in the Judges room. (Floor Officials, Table Officials and Judges).
07:00: All competitors arrive and prepare for the march-on. Entries and floor allocations can now be checked at the preparation area and on the official program.
08:00: March-on of all competitors commences followed by the official opening ceremony.
08:30: All Junior divisions commence on all floors.
- JSKA South Africa Head: Soon Pretorius
- JSKA South Africa General Manager: Elmarie van Zyl
- JSKA South Africa Operations Manager: Phillip Venter
- JSKA South Africa Head Judge: Paul Botha
- JSKA South Africa Tournament Director: Monica Ross
- Master of Ceremonies: Ivan Eber
- Official Opening: Leon van Vollenstee
- Photographer: Andrè van den Heever
- Floor Manager: Freddy Hicks
- National Anthem: Del-Mari van Zyl
Judges: Grey trousers, white short-sleeved shirt, tie and blazer, black slip on shoes and grey /black socks.
Tournament and Area Officials: Black Pants with a White Shirt
The following divisions are applicable.
Age groups: AGE AS ON THE DAY OF THE TOURNAMENT!
(Males and females will compete separately!)
The following categories and technical information are applicable in this event and divisions will be created according to the number of entries.
Children: 6, 7, 8, 9,10,11,12 and 13 years old
Cadets: 14 and 15 years old
Youth: 16 and 17 years and older
U/21: 18, 19 and 20 years
Senior: 18 Years +
Veterans: 35 to 44 years
Masters: 45 years and older
Ages: 6 – 15
- Pre-Yellow 1 / 2
- Yellow 1 / 2, Orange 1 / 2
- Green 1 / 2, Blue 1 / 2, Purple 1 / 2
- Red 1 / 2 / 3, Junior Brown 1 / 2 / 3,
- Junior Black 1 / 2 / 3
- Yellow, Orange
- Green, Blue, Purple
- Brown and above
TAKE NOTE: Final divisions will be determined by the number of entries.
- Only students already in Primary School (Grade 1) may compete in this national event. A student must be able to do Taikyoku Shodan kata and will be assisted with counting.
- Kyu grades will perform either their last grading kata or the next as prescribed by the grading syllabus. No other kata may be performed!
- Kumite events will be determined by the prescribed JSKA South Africa grading syllabus. Students Red to Black Belts, 12 years and older may however also compete in Shiai Kumite as well as basic kumite. No black belts (dan grades) will be allowed to enter the basic kumite divisions.
- Grade divisions (Red / Junior Brown / Brown / Junior Black / Shodan) must perform Heian Kata in the preliminary rounds. In the semi-finals any of the following Shitei Kata of the student’s choice may be performed: Jion / Kanku-dai / Bassai-dai / Empi / Hangetsu. A different Tokui Kata may be performed in the final.
Sanbon Kumite: Pre-Yellow 1 / 2, Yellow 1 / 2 and Orange 1 / 2
Kihon Ippon Kumite: Green 1 / 2, Blue 1 / 2 and Purple 1 / 2 /
Jiyu Ippon Kumite: Red 1 / 2 / 3, Junior Brown 1 /2 / 3, Junior Black 1 / 2 / 3, Senior Brown 1 / 2 / 3
Jiyu Kumite: Red and higher (12yrs+)
Sanbon Kumite (Pre-Yellow 1 / 2, Yellow 1 / 2 and Orange 1 / 2)
Aka steps back into basic kamae with the right leg. “Sanbon” is nominated and attacks Jodan with Oi-zuki, followed by a Chudan Oi-zuki and lastly a Chudan Mae-geri. Shiro defends Age-uke, Soto-uke and Gedan-barai with a Chudan Gyaku-zuki counter attack. Both competitors return to yoi. Shiro will now attack in the same manner as Aka. No variations to this sequence will be allowed!
Kihon Ippon Kumite (Green 1 / 2, Blue 1 / 2 and Purple 1 / 2)
Aka steps back into kamae with right leg. “Jodan” is nominated followed by the Jodan Oi-zuki attack. Shiro will defend with Age-uke and counter Chudan Gyaku-zuki. Both fighters return to Yoi. Shiro will now step back, nominate “Jodan” and attack Jodan Oi-zuki. Aka will defend Age-uke followed by a Chudan Gyaku-zuki counter attack. Chudan Oi-zuki will follow with a Soto-uke defence and a Chudan Gyaku-zuki counter attack and lastly Chudan Mae-geri with a Gedan-barai and a Chudan Gyaku-zuki counter attack. Tai-sabaki may be included when doing the last two defences.
Jiyu Ippon Kumite (Red 1 / 2 / 3, Jnr Brown 1 /2 / 3, Jnr Black 1 / 2 / 3, Snr Brown 1 / 2 /3)
Both fighters step forward with their left leg into Jiyu kamae (fighting stance). The attacker will clearly announce before launching an attack. Aka will nominate “Jodan”, followed by a Jodan Oi-zuki attack. Shiro will defend and counter attack with any technique. Shiro must now nominate and attack Jodan. Chudan, Mae-geri and Mawashi-geri must follow in the same manner. “Bouncing” is inappropriate.
Only 12 years and older (Red and higher)!
Only white cotton mitts may be worn. Gum guards and mitts are compulsory. Shin & foot” guards are optional. Females are obligated to wear chest protection for all Shiai divisions. (Shobu Ippon rules will be applicble at all events scheduled for Friday.)
Unison (will be contested on Friday evening)
Any Kata may be performed and repeated. (Male or female or mixed teams will be allowed). Divisions will be determined once the entries are received.
Accommodation for 2014 available
Protea Manor Hotel
Corner of Burnett and Festival
Phone: 012 362 7077
Fax nr: 012 362 5646
1291 Arcadia Street
Phone: (012) 362-5403
Fax: (012) 362-2585
C/o Schoeman and Leyds Street,
Phone: 012 440 5281
Fax: 012 440 3063
193 Albert Street, Waterkloof
Phone: 012 460 8225
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
We look forward to a successful JSKA South Africa National Karate Championships!
ADVERTISE IN THE PROGRAMME
JSKA South Africa has been hosting this prestigious event for 30 years and we would like to distribute the Programme of the Day FREE OF CHARGE. In order to do that we would like to forward this opportunity to parents of the JSKA South Africa to advertise their companies and/or products in the annual JSKA South Africa National Championship Programme at a fee.
This offer stands at a first come first serve basis, as we have limited space available. The advert will be published in black and white and it must be emailed to us in a PDF format (firstname.lastname@example.org), with full details of the company / product as well as full details of a contact person.
Follow this link to download the Advertisement Form (PDF) and to see the costing structure.